One Year Later
It has been a year.
A year since that day that changed something inside me forever. A year since an ordinary day turned into something I never imagined I would have to live through. I still find it difficult to call it just an accident. For me, it was a tragedy. A moment that divided my life into two parts: the life before that day and the life after it.
Before the accident, life felt permanent. I worried about work, career, money, relationships, the future, and all the little things that seemed so important at the time. I complained about ordinary problems without realizing how lucky I was to have ordinary problems to complain about.
Then, in a matter of seconds, everything changed.
Suddenly, I found myself surrounded by doctors, medicines, machines, reports, hospital rooms and people constantly asking how I was feeling. My world became smaller than I had ever imagined. There was a bed, a room, a few familiar faces and an endless cycle of medicines, tests, consultations and waiting. Waiting for the pain to settle. Waiting for the next report. Waiting for the doctors. Waiting to be able to stand. Waiting to walk. Waiting to feel like myself again.
For almost one and a half months, I couldn't walk properly.
Something that everyone does without thinking became something I desperately wanted to do. Walking was no longer just walking. Standing up was an achievement. Taking a few steps was an achievement. Moving without pain was an achievement.
It is strange how life teaches you the value of something only after it takes it away.
The days were difficult, but the nights were worse.
During the day, there were people around. Doctors, nurses, family, conversations, medicines, and things that kept my mind occupied. But when the night came, and everything became quiet, my thoughts became louder.
Every night, there was one question that kept returning.
What if today was the last day?
And then another question would follow.
Will I be able to open my eyes tomorrow morning?
I don't know how to explain what it feels like to close your eyes while wondering if you will open them again. It changes something in you. Sleep, something that was once so normal, suddenly carries fear with it.
And every morning when I opened my eyes, there was a strange kind of gratitude.
Not the dramatic kind. Just a quiet thought. I'm still here.
Then came the surgery.
People often think of surgery as something that happens and then life moves forward. But when you are the person lying there, it feels different. It is one of those moments when reality becomes impossible to ignore.
The surgery hit me hard.
Not only because of what my body was going through, but because it forced me to confront a truth I had spent my entire life avoiding.
We live as if we have unlimited time. We postpone things. We wait for the right moment. We tell ourselves that someday we will travel, someday we will start, someday we will say what we feel, someday we will become the person we want to be.
The accident made me question almost every decision I had taken until then.
Was I living the life I actually wanted?
Was I happy?
Was I doing enough?
Was I spending my time on things that really mattered?
Why was I so afraid of failure?
Why had I allowed other people's opinions to affect me so much?
For the first time, I looked at my life from a distance, almost like it belonged to someone else, and I didn't know whether I was proud of the way I had been living it.
People often say, "Whatever happens, happens for a reason."
I heard that too.
And honestly, for a long time, I hated that sentence.
Because I kept asking myself, what was the good in this?
What good was there in pain?
What good was there in surgery?
What good was there in fear?
What good was there in lying awake at night wondering whether I would see another morning?
I didn't have an answer.
Even today, I don't know if I believe that everything happens for a reason.
Maybe some things simply happen.
Maybe terrible things don't always come with a beautiful explanation.
Maybe the meaning isn't hidden inside what happened.
And perhaps that is where I eventually found something good.
The doctors did their job. The medicines worked. Slowly, my body began to recover. The wounds started healing, and eventually, I started walking again. From the outside, life began to look normal.
But healing isn't always visible.
My wounds healed, but the scars stayed: some on my body, some on my heart, and some somewhere inside my mind.
I still get nightmares. I still get that little shiver while crossing roads. Sometimes even the name of a hospital brings back a feeling I can't explain. A little stress can hit harder than it used to, and sometimes I need a day or two just to feel like myself again.
Maybe that's something I have learned to accept. Healing doesn't always mean forgetting. Sometimes it simply means remembering without reliving.
There are days when I miss the person I was before the accident: the person who didn't think twice about crossing a road, who slept without fear, who believed tomorrow was guaranteed.
But I also know that person didn't understand how precious ordinary life really was. I understand it now.
I understand that tomorrow isn't promised. That the people we love shouldn't be taken for granted. That some things shouldn't always be postponed for "someday". And that sometimes, simply waking up, walking, breathing, and living is enough reason to be grateful.
A year ago, I thought surviving meant getting physically better.
Today, I know it means something more.
It means learning to live with what happened without letting it become the whole story of my life.
I still call it a tragedy. I don't want to romanticize it or say I am grateful for the pain. I'm not. I'm not grateful for the fear, the nights of uncertainty, the inability to walk or the surgery.
But I am grateful for what came after.
For another morning.
For the people who stayed.
For the doctors who helped me.
For the chance to understand life differently.
Not in what happened, but in what I chose to do after it.
One year later, I still have scars. Sometimes they hurt. Sometimes they remind me of everything I wish I could forget. But they are also proof that I survived something I once didn't know if I could.
If I could speak to the person I was that day, I wouldn't promise that everything would be easy. It wasn't.
I would simply say:
Keep going.
Take one step, then another.
You don't need to understand everything today. You just need to keep moving.
Because eventually, you look back and realize that the person who entered that hospital isn't the same person who walked out.
The body healed.
The mind changed.
The heart changed.
And maybe that's what healing really is: not becoming who you were before, but learning to live with who you became afterward.
It has been a year.
One year since the accident.
One year since I wondered if I would open my eyes the next morning.
It's another chance.
Comments
Post a Comment